COVID Update — Captain Coops
With relaxing of COVID lockdown restrictions, limited community sport including social paddling has started again in Canberra.
Source: ACT Government (Lockdown FAQs)
Outdoor Sporting Facilities
- Can operate for recreational purposes
- Must operate with the minimum number of staff required to allow outdoor physical and recreational sporting activities to occur.
- Must ensure that:
- Social distancing of people can be, wherever possible, accommodated, implemented and monitored by any staff of the sporting facility.
- A gathering does not exceed one person per four square metres per usable outdoor space and
- In addition to people participating in activities, the people operating or working at the facility must wear masks in accordance with Part 3 of the Direction.
Komodo has published a COVID Safety Plan, and is encouraging those that feel comfortable to do so to get in touch to find opportunities to return to the water for social paddling. It’s a great workout, and more importantly a fantastic mental break from the challenges of being home-bound during lockdown.
Paddling is social only (no training) and conducted in groups of 5 (four paddlers and an accredited sweep). Komodo is supporting its members by coordinating social groups, who are then arranging convenient times to get together.
Although it’s only a social paddle, it’s a great reminder of how important time on the water is for our physical and mental health. It also reduces just a little the mental leap from the reality of lockdown, to our future where we will be racing again!